In Chapter 7, we saw:
- Scatterplots can show us relationships between two numeric variables.
- Correlation describes the strength and direction of linear relationships between two numeric variables.
- We call the \(X\) variable the explanatory variable, because it explains the \(Y\) variable.
- We call the \(Y\) variable the response because it responds to changes in \(X\).
Where do we go from here?
- If correlation tells us how well the points fit around a line, what line do they fit around?
- How can we use this line to describe the relationship further?
- Can we use it to make predictions?